Historic Lewis Chessmen returning to Western IslesBreaking News
Six Lewis Chessmen are to be displayed long-term at a new museum on the Western Isles, where more than 90 of the historic pieces were found.
An agreement has been reached between Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council) and the British Museum.
The British Museum will loan the six pieces to the new museum at Lews Castle, in Stornoway, from 2014.
Figures from the Lewis Chessmen have only previously been displayed on the islands on a short-term basis.
A five-month exhibition last year, called Lewis Chessmen: Unmasked, attracted more than 23,000 visitors....
comments powered by Disqus
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project
- "I teach the largest gay and lesbian history class in the country."
- Another year of declines in history enrollments