Historic Lewis Chessmen returning to Western Isles
Six Lewis Chessmen are to be displayed long-term at a new museum on the Western Isles, where more than 90 of the historic pieces were found.
An agreement has been reached between Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council) and the British Museum.
The British Museum will loan the six pieces to the new museum at Lews Castle, in Stornoway, from 2014.
Figures from the Lewis Chessmen have only previously been displayed on the islands on a short-term basis.
A five-month exhibition last year, called Lewis Chessmen: Unmasked, attracted more than 23,000 visitors....
comments powered by Disqus
- A grandmother’s trove of Civil War photos goes to Library of Congress
- Tribes See Name on Oregon Maps as Being Out of Bounds
- Holy Haystacks! Researchers Have Officially Discovered A New Monet
- Joan Baez, Sly Stone, Steve Martin, Ben E. King -- all honored by the Library of Congress
- StoryCorps to Launch Global Expansion With $1M TED Prize
- OAH denounces anti-gay legislation signed by Indiana governor
- U.S. historian denounces Japanese scholars' statement over wartime sexual slavery
- Timothy V Johnson Named Head of Tamiment Library