Historic Lewis Chessmen returning to Western IslesBreaking News
Six Lewis Chessmen are to be displayed long-term at a new museum on the Western Isles, where more than 90 of the historic pieces were found.
An agreement has been reached between Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council) and the British Museum.
The British Museum will loan the six pieces to the new museum at Lews Castle, in Stornoway, from 2014.
Figures from the Lewis Chessmen have only previously been displayed on the islands on a short-term basis.
A five-month exhibition last year, called Lewis Chessmen: Unmasked, attracted more than 23,000 visitors....
comments powered by Disqus
- Ben Carson defends linking gun control to the Holocaust
- Secret CIA Report: Pinochet "Personally Ordered" Washington Car-Bombing
- Mike Huckabee’s 1998 Book Is Full Of Fake Quotes From America’s Founders
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich