Thomas Cromwell letter to Henry VIII before Anne of Cleves marriage discoveredBreaking News
Unfortunately for Cromwell the king was repulsed when he finally saw his bride because she looked nothing like her portrait - and he was beheaded.
At the time, Cromwell was Henry's chief minister and is the central figure in Hilary Mantel's latest novel, Bring up the Bodies.
The letter, dated November 8, 1539, was sent to the clerical diplomat, Dr Nicholas Wootton.
The diplomat was in Cleves in Germany finalising arrangements for what would turn out to be the shortest of Henry's six marriages....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian Allan Lichtman who’s predicted 30 years of presidential elections correctly is doubling down on a Trump win
- National Book Award semifinalist Heather Ann Thompson says the war on crime started with LBJ
- David McCullough's next book will focus on generations of Northwest pioneers
- British historian Sheila Lecoeur is on trial for defamation
- Jim Downs laments that Americans still aren’t being taught LGBT history