Thomas Cromwell letter to Henry VIII before Anne of Cleves marriage discoveredBreaking News
Unfortunately for Cromwell the king was repulsed when he finally saw his bride because she looked nothing like her portrait - and he was beheaded.
At the time, Cromwell was Henry's chief minister and is the central figure in Hilary Mantel's latest novel, Bring up the Bodies.
The letter, dated November 8, 1539, was sent to the clerical diplomat, Dr Nicholas Wootton.
The diplomat was in Cleves in Germany finalising arrangements for what would turn out to be the shortest of Henry's six marriages....
comments powered by Disqus
- Voting opens soon for the leaders of the OAH in 2017
- A team of science historians are attempting to re-create recipes from sixteenth-century alchemy texts
- David Kennedy recalls his dinners with President Obama
- When Kellie Jones Wanted To Study Black Art History, The Field Didn’t Exist. So She Created It Herself.
- Michael Honey: The 60’s activist turned historian