QE2 Jubilee endsBreaking News
LONDON — Saying she was touched and humbled by “countless kindnesses” shown to her, Queen Elizabeth II wound up a spectacular and closely scripted four-day celebration of her 60 years as monarch on Tuesday, seeming buoyed by an outpouring of support that is likely to cement her family’s place in British society for years to come.
The queen, who is 86, completed the extravaganza with an address broadcast to the nation.
“The events that I have attended to mark my diamond jubilee have been a humbling experience,” she said in the address, which lasted less than two minutes and was recorded in advance. “It has touched me deeply to see so many thousands of families, neighbors and friends celebrating together in such a happy atmosphere.”
She added: “I hope that the memories of all this year’s happy events will brighten our lives for many years to come. I will continue to treasure and draw inspiration from the countless kindnesses shown to me in this country and throughout the Commonwealth,” she said, referring to the association of nations with historical links to Britain (mainly former colonies) that she formally heads....
comments powered by Disqus
- Taiwan Commemorates a Violent Nationalist Episode, 70 Years Later
- As Albania Reckons With Its Communist Past, Critics Say It’s Too Late
- Previously untouched 600BC palace discovered under shrine demolished by Isil in Mosul
- Slate reveals that despite our apology, nothing’s been done to help Guatemalans infected in an experiment worse than Tuskegee
- Russian government website notes that game maker has sent “Secret Hitler” to every US senator
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write
- French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport