60 obscure facts about the QueenBreaking News
...1 The first words the infant Elizabeth would have heard were "Is it a boy or a girl?", said by her father, the future George VI.
2 For constitutional reasons, the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Cabinet Secretary were present in an adjoining room.
3 The future Queen's nickname was Lizbet or Lil.
4 "Even at the age of one, she had what I call 'royal manners'," one of her first nannies, Nanny Wilkins, once revealed.
5 Her favourite subjects, according to one governess, were drawing and animal stories....
comments powered by Disqus
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Greece vows pressure on Germany to get WWII reparations
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton