60 obscure facts about the Queen
...1 The first words the infant Elizabeth would have heard were "Is it a boy or a girl?", said by her father, the future George VI.
2 For constitutional reasons, the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Cabinet Secretary were present in an adjoining room.
3 The future Queen's nickname was Lizbet or Lil.
4 "Even at the age of one, she had what I call 'royal manners'," one of her first nannies, Nanny Wilkins, once revealed.
5 Her favourite subjects, according to one governess, were drawing and animal stories....
comments powered by Disqus
- Did a historian who said he’s a victim of McCarthyism get the story wrong?
- Stephanie Coontz’s work on the history of marriage cited by the Supreme Court.
- How Does It Feel To Have One’s Work as a Historian Cited by the Supreme Court? Cool. Very Cool. Thank You Very Much.
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- David Hackett Fischer wins $100,000 prize for lifetime achievement in military writing