60 obscure facts about the QueenBreaking News
...1 The first words the infant Elizabeth would have heard were "Is it a boy or a girl?", said by her father, the future George VI.
2 For constitutional reasons, the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Cabinet Secretary were present in an adjoining room.
3 The future Queen's nickname was Lizbet or Lil.
4 "Even at the age of one, she had what I call 'royal manners'," one of her first nannies, Nanny Wilkins, once revealed.
5 Her favourite subjects, according to one governess, were drawing and animal stories....
comments powered by Disqus
- Tales of African-American History Found in DNA
- History Celebrates New Show Roots With Project to Digitize Post-Slavery Documents
- In 1453, this Ottoman sultan ended Christian rule in Constantinople. But was he a good Muslim?
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize