Interview with Vyacheslav Nikonov, Professor of History and a member of the Russian State Duma.
What would you define as the key lessons the world needs to remember not to run into another tragedy, like the World War II obviously was?
Well, the key lesson of World War II is that appeasement of aggression does not pay. Actually the policy which tried to compromise the European principles with Nazism failed. And the major leaders of the great European powers which were trying to prevent Germany from rising again actually contributed much to this rising, starting with the Treaty of Versailles which humiliated Germany and the Soviet Union made them outcasts in the European system.
So, the European security cannot be divided, that is one of the major lessons for today’s world and that is one of the messages Russia is sending to the outside world that the European security is something to be preserved, it is something which is indivisible, which cannot be really split into different sections, and the whole system of European architecture which was designed after the end of the Cold War in certain aspects reflects the mischief of the international system which existed between the two world wars. The ideas of the common European security architecture I think are extremely important these days, maybe they are not that important as in the 1930’es but still they are....
comments powered by Disqus
- Parsing Ronald Reagan’s Words for Early Signs of Alzheimer’s
- Here's a look at history of 'religious freedom' laws
- ‘Hamilton’ Puts Politics Onstage and Politicians in Attendance
- Earth Tectonic Plate Simulation Reveals Our Planet Has Changed A Lot In 200 Million Years
- For G.O.P., Support for Israel Becomes New Litmus Test
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science
- Ken Burns tackles history of cancer
- If historians have their way, Americans will soon learn how important religion has been in US history
- Role-playing history game gets students jazzed