Ancient stone circle holds air of mystery (it's in Britain, but it's not Stonehenge)
However, don't let that fool you; Avebury contains the largest stone circle in Europe and the largest manmade prehistoric mound, Silbury Hill.
Avebury's stone circle dates to around 2600 B.C. Experts are still trying to determine its exact age, purpose and builder.
comments powered by Disqus
- U.K. Released Hundreds of Nazis After the Holocaust, Says Leading Historian
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Historians Against the War gathering signatures for new resolution to AHA on alleged violations of academic freedom in Israel
- Academic Seeks Death Certificate for Outlaw Billy the Kid
- Murderer of historian of Czech Jewry goes on trial