Ancient stone circle holds air of mystery (it's in Britain, but it's not Stonehenge)
However, don't let that fool you; Avebury contains the largest stone circle in Europe and the largest manmade prehistoric mound, Silbury Hill.
Avebury's stone circle dates to around 2600 B.C. Experts are still trying to determine its exact age, purpose and builder.
comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Years After Katrina, the Enduring Value of the Hurricane Digital Memory Bank
- Historian author Antony Beevor says his new World War 2 book may anger Americans
- Ron Radosh and Allis Radosh plan to defend Warren Harding in a new book
- Historians tackle America’s mass incarceration problem
- Report: Russian studies in crisis