Union Army captain, freed slave descendants meetBreaking News
Through help from genealogy and local historians, the descendants of a gravely injured Civil War army captain and a freed African-American slave who aided him met at the historic Hoag House on 127 Donaldson Ave. in Rutherford on May 5. Stanley Baxter, the great-great grandson of African-American Lafayette Hoag, and Arthur N. Mabbett, the great adopted grandson of Union Army Captain Alonzo Lorenzo Mabbett, traveled from Pennsylvania and Massachusetts to meet for the first time.
"Rutherford didn't witness any of the battles of the American Revolution or the Civil War. Nevertheless, Rutherford [a.k.a. Boiling Spring] has had an interesting, colorful history because of some of the people that moved here," Borough Historian Rod Leith said at a ceremony commemorating Historic Preservation Month held at Borough Hall....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity