Surveys call into question location of fighting on Fort Ann's Battle Hill
FORT ANN -- State officials confirmed Saturday recent archaeological surveys found no evidence of a battle at the site of a proposed mine on Battle Hill, throwing the actual location of the Revolutionary War skirmish in question.
Gino Vona, owner of Big Boy Construction, wants to develop a 50-acre mine with Troy Topsoil on his 160-acre parcel atop the mound where English forces met scattered Continental units that were fleeing Fort Ticonderoga on July 8, 1777.
At a roundtable forum hosted at Fort Ann Central School by project opponents Saturday, State Department of Environmental Conservation officials said the archaeological analysis at the site found no artifacts, like buttons, cartridges or flints, indicating the battle occurred at the site of the proposed surface mine....
comments powered by Disqus
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Researchers have discovered a previously unknown 149-page manuscript defending homosexuality.
- What Counts as Historical Evidence? The Fracas over John Stauffer’s Black Confederates
- Israeli journalist-turned-biographer, Shabtai Teveth, is remembered for his attack on the New Historians
- Harvard’s Drew Faust says the Civil War marked the start of large-scale industrial war, not WW I