80th anniv. of UK Mass TrespassBreaking News
It's an event best seen through the eyes of a 10-year-old child who looked round the vast bowl of hills around Kinder Scout on Tuesday and couldn't conceive of a time when it was forbidden ground.
"It's so green and so beautiful, we get up there whenever we can," she said, peeping out from behind one of the hand-coloured masks of grouse and curlews made by Edale primary school for this year's 80th anniversary of the Kinder Mass Trespass.
Her comment rolled back the years for Elsie Gaskell, who was 10 in April 1932, when word spread around Manchester, Sheffield and the smaller Pennine industrial towns that the landlords and gamekeepers on the high moors were to be defied in strength....
comments powered by Disqus
- Watch every presidential debate since 1960
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history