Dunfermline marks links to American hero General John ForbesBreaking News
General John Forbes is credited with turning the tide of American history in favour of British forces in the Seven Years War when he defeated the French, capturing a strategically important fort and founding what is now Pittsburgh.
Now a memorial, gifted by the people of Pennsylvania, stands alongside the Forbes' ancestral home, Pittencrieff House. It was unveiled on Saturday.
The Forbes Marker was presented by Laura Fisher, senior vice-president of the Allegheny Conference in Pittsburgh. She served as an executive director of French and Indian War 250, which celebrated the 250th anniversary of the founding of Pittsburgh in 1758.
The Forbes Marker commemorates the achievements of the general, and is one of a set of five installed along the route of the 300-mile trail he created on his way to capture Fort Duquesne....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity