Luddite memorial unveiledBreaking News
CROWDS gathered on a rainy morning to witness the unveiling of the world’s only memorial to the Luddites in Liversedge.
The unveiling of the statue of a cropper and his daughter was the culmination of six years’ hard graft by Spen Valley Civic Society.
The society bought a plot of derelict land at the junction of Knowler Hill and Halifax Road to turn into a park marking the ‘lost town’ of Liversedge.
However they also decided that as 2012 marked the 200th anniversary of the Luddites’ attack at Rawfolds Mill in Liversedge, they would commemorate that pivotal moment in social history by commissioning a statue of a cropper and his daughter as the park’s centrepiece....
comments powered by Disqus
- Unilateral U.S. nuclear pullback in 1991 matched by rapid Soviet cuts
- More Historians Come Out for Trump
- History lesson horrifies parent: Blacks used to have ‘strong work ethic’ during slavery
- Philippines President Compares Himself To Hitler in Anti-Crime Rant
- U.S. Extradites Baltimore Professor to Rwanda to Stand Trial for Genocide