Luddite memorial unveiledBreaking News
CROWDS gathered on a rainy morning to witness the unveiling of the world’s only memorial to the Luddites in Liversedge.
The unveiling of the statue of a cropper and his daughter was the culmination of six years’ hard graft by Spen Valley Civic Society.
The society bought a plot of derelict land at the junction of Knowler Hill and Halifax Road to turn into a park marking the ‘lost town’ of Liversedge.
However they also decided that as 2012 marked the 200th anniversary of the Luddites’ attack at Rawfolds Mill in Liversedge, they would commemorate that pivotal moment in social history by commissioning a statue of a cropper and his daughter as the park’s centrepiece....
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea