Michael Oren objects to 60 Minutes story before it's airedHistorians in the News
HNN: Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren, the historian, was on the hot seat on Sixty Minutes tonight, for objecting to a story correspondent Bob Simon was doing before the story even aired. The story focused on the suffering of Christians in the traditional holy places of Jerusalem, Bethlehem and Nazareth, whose numbers have been dwindling as a result of Israeli measures to limit terrorism. The story did not suggest that Israel is targeting Christians. Rather, they have been collateral damage as Israel cracks down on Muslims. An excerpt follows.
comments powered by Disqus
- Tales of African-American History Found in DNA
- History Celebrates New Show Roots With Project to Digitize Post-Slavery Documents
- In 1453, this Ottoman sultan ended Christian rule in Constantinople. But was he a good Muslim?
- Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation among documents sold for $6.2m in New York
- Family shines light on American POW killed by Hiroshima blast
- History Relevance Campaign meets at the Smithsonian
- Bernard Lewis Turns 100
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize