National parks generate more than $1B for local economyBreaking News
WASHINGTON - You may think of the National Mall or the C&O Canal as a nice place to have lunch or spend a quiet Sunday afternoon, but those locations are also part of some big business for the National Capitol Region.
National parks in D.C., Maryland and Virginia generated more than $1.8 billion in revenue in 2010 from 58 million visitors and supported more than 22,000 related jobs.
National Parks Service Spokesman Bill Line says that includes spending on all kinds of things.
"Hotels, restaurants, souvenirs, books, photography items, taxi cabs, pedi-cabs," he says....
comments powered by Disqus
- Norma Basch, pioneer in legal history, has died
- National History Day Helps 600,000 Kids Bring the Past to Life
- Finally some good news for history grads
- Historians issue statement in support of European migrants
- Conservative historian Arthur Herman slammed for saying Obama is highly submissive to Putin and other strong leaders