Photos of historic WWII surrender, never published, foundBreaking News
The images show the surrender from a different angle and candid moments before and after the historic event. Some, taken at deck level, reveal closeups of grim-faced Japanese military and government officials. Others show sailors "at ease" just before the official ceremony. One shows a Russian officer smiling broadly.
John Sidney Sampson, 62, said he found the photos in a sealed manila envelope in San Diego, while helping clean the attic of a home owned by a family friend, Margaret McCain LaGrange. She is the niece of Admiral John Sidney McCain Sr., who was present at the surrender and was the grandfather of Sen. John S. McCain (R-Ariz.). Sampson said LaGrange gave him the photos because his own father, Navy Capt. William Sampson, had served as an aide to the senior McCain.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity