700th anniversary of William Wallace's deathBreaking News
SNP MSP Christine Grahame has called on the UK Government to instruct the flying of the Saltire above Edinburgh Castle on Tuesday.
Edinburgh Castle is an official flag station for the British Army and the SNP said such a move would be the first time the Saltire has been flown from the highest point on the castle since the 1707 Act of Union.
Ms Grahame said: "The spark which William Wallace ignited led directly to the Wars of Independence and ultimately recognition of Scotland as a free nation.
"Had he not done so then Scotland would almost certainly have been annexed as part of a 'greater England'."
She said raising the Saltire would be a "fitting tribute" to Wallace's memory and the "inspiration it brought to the rest of the Scotland to resist oppression and injustice".
comments powered by Disqus
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”