Florida Atlantic historian celebrates first English Channel flight
Nearly 100 women from the USA, Canada and Europe are in Kent to commemorate the centenary of the first flight by a female pilot across the Channel.
Harriet Quimby flew from Dover to northern France a year after she became the first woman to gain a pilot's licence in the USA....
"This is a very important event," said history professor Dr Barbara Ganson.
Dr Ganson, of Florida Atlantic University, said: "It is always a joy to talk and to study history but I want to help make history and celebrate history.
"I'm flying the Channel - that's why I came here."...
comments powered by Disqus
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean
- The Council on Foreign Relations Honors Kissinger Critic
- Architectural historian discovers Chartres Cathedral has started faking it
- Rick Perlstein hits back at a critic of his book on Reagan
- So Historians Are Surprised by What DNA Can Tell Us?