Outrage over plans to move South African WWI memorial
Outrage has greeted a proposal by the City of Cape Town to move the Cenotaph war memorial, which has been in Adderley Street since 1924, to make way for a MyCiTi bus station.
The proposal to move the Cenotaph to the Grand Parade was made in a heritage report commissioned by the city and published by Bridget O’Donoghue, a heritage consultant.
According to the report, the relocation site was proposed after civil and professional organisations were consulted.
But public reaction on Monday indicated that moving the Cenotaph is more contentious than suggested by the report....
comments powered by Disqus
- Russian historian slams Putin
- Historians and archivists say the NY Public Library no longer functions as a world-class research library
- WaPo chastised for ignoring Venona Papers in obit for Allen Weinstein
- In gay marriage decision, Supreme Court turns to historians for insight
- Sam Haselby argues religion trumps politics in his new book