Jaruzelski sorry for 1968 invasionBreaking News
Speaking to Czech state television on the 37th anniversary of the crackdown, Jaruzelski, Polish defense minister at the time, said the invasion of another Warsaw Pact nation was "very painful for me."
"But, in 1968, I was the defense minister implementing a political decision, convinced that there were grounds for that on the basis of the information available to us then. Today, and naturally much earlier, I realized this decision had been incorrect, wrong, shameful. As I took part in implementing it, I am now offering my sincere apologies."
Soviet troops and soldiers from four communist bloc countries stormed into Czechoslovakia on August 21, 1968, to halt a liberalization movement led by Czech Communist party chief Alexander Dubcek, fearing they might provoke a wider pro-democracy push. Eighty people were killed.
comments powered by Disqus
- Previously untouched 600BC palace discovered under shrine demolished by Isil in Mosul
- Slate reveals that despite our apology, nothing’s been done to help Guatemalans infected in an experiment worse than Tuskegee
- Russian government website notes that game maker has sent “Secret Hitler” to every US senator
- Scholars debate the future of NATO
- Trump, Putin, and the New Cold War
- James Oliver Horton remembered as a pioneer for African American research
- Theodore Lowi, Zealous Scholar of Presidents and Liberalism, Dies at 85
- What LT. Gen. H.R. McMaster will offer as new national security adviser
- Fareed Zakaria hails historian Nigel Hamilton’s series as the memoir FDR never had the opportunity to write
- French Historian Says He Was Threatened With Deportation at Houston Airport