Monterey Pass Civil War Battlefield preservation work advances
Less than a year after officially organizing, the Friends of Monterey Pass Battlefield Inc. have seen significant progress toward the preservation of the only Civil War battle site on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line.
In December, the Cantwell site near the intersection of Buchanan Trail East and Charmian Road in Blue Ridge Summit was purchased by Washington Township and will be overseen by the Friends as they preserve the land and history.
The nearly 1-acre property was purchased from Mary Rae Cantwell.
“Mary Rae was the first driving force behind Monterey,” said Alicia Miller, chairman of FMPB. “Her dream was always to see the preservation of the battlefield and she was very pleased and happy when we had the opportunity to purchase the land.”
Since the official purchase on Dec. 8, a mobile home was torn down, leaving behind a landscape that will eventually include a parking lot and an interpretive center....
comments powered by Disqus
- 93-year-old former Auschwitz guard charged
- Martin Amis’s ‘Zone of Interest’ Makes European Publishers Squirm
- Urban Outfitters Features "Vintage" Red-Stained Kent State Sweatshirt
- Americans know surprisingly little about their government, survey finds
- Do You Have Snippets of the Star-Spangled Banner?