Monterey Pass Civil War Battlefield preservation work advancesBreaking News
Less than a year after officially organizing, the Friends of Monterey Pass Battlefield Inc. have seen significant progress toward the preservation of the only Civil War battle site on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line.
In December, the Cantwell site near the intersection of Buchanan Trail East and Charmian Road in Blue Ridge Summit was purchased by Washington Township and will be overseen by the Friends as they preserve the land and history.
The nearly 1-acre property was purchased from Mary Rae Cantwell.
“Mary Rae was the first driving force behind Monterey,” said Alicia Miller, chairman of FMPB. “Her dream was always to see the preservation of the battlefield and she was very pleased and happy when we had the opportunity to purchase the land.”
Since the official purchase on Dec. 8, a mobile home was torn down, leaving behind a landscape that will eventually include a parking lot and an interpretive center....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity