Wallace was a unionist hero claims historianBreaking News
Devine’s intervention will anger nationalists, who have accused the Scottish executive of not doing enough to honour his memory. Earlier this month, Alex Salmond called for the Scottish flag to be flown from every public building in the country to mark the 700th anniversary of Wallace’s execution.
Wallace — whose story was popularised in the 1995 film Braveheart, starring Mel Gibson — is chiefly remembered for his victory over English forces at the battle of Stirling Bridge on September 11, 1297.
Devine, who will present his theory this week at the inaugural Festival of Politics at Holyrood, said the Wallace story was “malleable”.
“I think the problem is this, ever since Braveheart and ever since the view that Braveheart actually was a factor in devolution, he’s been regarded as a nationalist icon. You could say the nationalists have hijacked him, but that’s no different from what happened in previous ages,” he said.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity