The Monkey House Ends a 111-Year Run in the Bronx, a Victim of Zoo EvolutionBreaking News
Jose Ortiz, a 50-year-old taxi driver who grew up a few blocks from the Bronx Zoo, remembers how young he was when the creatures in the Monkey House captured his imagination.
“When you see them as a kid, and you see they have five fingers and an opposable thumb just like you do, your mind starts to wander,” he said. “Your imagination starts going, and suddenly you’re in the jungle with them swinging on vines — you’re in ‘The Jungle Book.’ ”
“Those are the best memories that anyone can have,” he said.
Now memories are all that anyone can have. The zoo closed the 111-year-old Monkey House on Monday for good....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges