Historic monastery in Turkish Cyprus near collapseBreaking News
Archbishop Chrysostomos II urged Greek Cypriot pilgrims not to travel to the Apostolos Andreas - or Saint Andrew - monastery in Turkish Cyprus for fear it could collapse.
He said if Turkish Cypriot authorities didn't act fast, he would dispatch restoration crews to prop up the monastery's crumbling central archway, possibly stoking tensions on the divided island.
Chrysostomos account was immediately disputed by Turkish Cypriot officials, who say authorities are keen to protect the island's cultural heritage and a restoration program is already under way....
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history