Historic monastery in Turkish Cyprus near collapseBreaking News
Archbishop Chrysostomos II urged Greek Cypriot pilgrims not to travel to the Apostolos Andreas - or Saint Andrew - monastery in Turkish Cyprus for fear it could collapse.
He said if Turkish Cypriot authorities didn't act fast, he would dispatch restoration crews to prop up the monastery's crumbling central archway, possibly stoking tensions on the divided island.
Chrysostomos account was immediately disputed by Turkish Cypriot officials, who say authorities are keen to protect the island's cultural heritage and a restoration program is already under way....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election
- Michael Bliss, Historian Who Dispelled Myths of Insulin’s Discovery, Dies at 76
- Jill Lepore: Americans Aren't Just Divided Politically, They're Divided Over History Too
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools