Was Charlie Chaplin a Frenchman?
When his comic genius became an international phenomenon, it was a source of great pride back home in England.
But it seems Charlie Chaplin may not have been English at all – but a Frenchman with the alias Israel Thornstein.
The startling claims are made in MI5 papers released for the first time today.
Classified files reveal how the Security Service was baffled to find there were no records of Chaplin’s supposed birth in South London....
comments powered by Disqus
- Hull of Confederate Submarine H.L. Hunley Found 150 Years Later
- U.S. Textbook Skews History, Prime Minister of Japan Says
- Recalling a Film From the Liberation of the Camps
- Skull Fossil Offers New Clues on Human Journey From Africa
- Are crude conspiracies right? Research shows nations really do go to war over oil
- Ronald Suny says historians have shied away from exploring the roots of the Armenian genocide for fear of taking attention away from the victims
- Columbia University professors Eric Foner, Alan Brinkley, and Alice Kessler-Harris to retire
- A powerhouse appropriations subcommittee is now headed by a historian: Republican Rep. Tom Cole (OK)
- Slavic scholars divided over a scholarship sponsored (and withdrawn) by Stephen F. Cohen
- Claire Strom to Step Down as Editor of Agricultural History