Was Charlie Chaplin a Frenchman?
When his comic genius became an international phenomenon, it was a source of great pride back home in England.
But it seems Charlie Chaplin may not have been English at all – but a Frenchman with the alias Israel Thornstein.
The startling claims are made in MI5 papers released for the first time today.
Classified files reveal how the Security Service was baffled to find there were no records of Chaplin’s supposed birth in South London....
comments powered by Disqus
- King Tutankhamun did not die in chariot crash, virtual autopsy reveals
- Easter Island’s ancient inhabitants weren’t so isolated after all
- Turin shroud was made for medieval Easter ritual, historian says
- Japanese Village Grappling With Wartime Sins Comes Under Attack
- Gestapo Imposter Tricked Nazi Sympathizers in WWII
- Turning West, Historians Take a Wider View of Early America
- History to Launch Online Course for College Credit
- 33.3 million viewers tuned in for 'The Roosevelts' documentary series
- Eric Foner debunks Underground Railroad myth
- Juan Cole claims the Arab Spring is still promising. Doubters say he’s naive.