Was Charlie Chaplin a Frenchman?
When his comic genius became an international phenomenon, it was a source of great pride back home in England.
But it seems Charlie Chaplin may not have been English at all – but a Frenchman with the alias Israel Thornstein.
The startling claims are made in MI5 papers released for the first time today.
Classified files reveal how the Security Service was baffled to find there were no records of Chaplin’s supposed birth in South London....
comments powered by Disqus
- 150 years later, schools are still a battlefield for interpreting Civil War
- Where are America's memorials to pain of slavery, black resistance?
- Richmond split over Confederate history
- The World's Jewish Population Is Nearing Pre-Holocaust Levels
- Bernie Sanders’s Revolutionary Roots Were Nurtured in ’60s Vermont
- Did a historian who said he’s a victim of McCarthyism get the story wrong?
- Stephanie Coontz’s work on the history of marriage cited by the Supreme Court.
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- David Hackett Fischer wins $100,000 prize for lifetime achievement in military writing