Senator Requests Smithsonian Travel RecordsBreaking News
Sen. Charles E. Grassley, an Iowa Republican who serves on the Senate Judiciary Committee as well as the Senate Budget Committee, has requested to see complete travel documents for the Smithsonian Secretary G. Wayne Clough, after a report revealed that $112,000 of Mr. Clough’s travel costs have been financed by outside donors.
According to the report by Junketsleuth.com, Mr. Clough spent 191 days traveling over a span of three years – from July 2008 to July 2011 – to destinations like France, Antarctica and New Zealand. His expenses included the use of charter flights, private car services, and upgrading to first-class or business-class airline tickets.
In a letter released on Monday, Mr. Grassley expressed concerns that Mr. Clough was incurring many of the same type of travel expenses as his predecessor, Lawrence M. Small , who resigned in 2007 after it was discovered he was using federal funds to finance his travels....
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history