Senator Requests Smithsonian Travel RecordsBreaking News
Sen. Charles E. Grassley, an Iowa Republican who serves on the Senate Judiciary Committee as well as the Senate Budget Committee, has requested to see complete travel documents for the Smithsonian Secretary G. Wayne Clough, after a report revealed that $112,000 of Mr. Clough’s travel costs have been financed by outside donors.
According to the report by Junketsleuth.com, Mr. Clough spent 191 days traveling over a span of three years – from July 2008 to July 2011 – to destinations like France, Antarctica and New Zealand. His expenses included the use of charter flights, private car services, and upgrading to first-class or business-class airline tickets.
In a letter released on Monday, Mr. Grassley expressed concerns that Mr. Clough was incurring many of the same type of travel expenses as his predecessor, Lawrence M. Small , who resigned in 2007 after it was discovered he was using federal funds to finance his travels....
comments powered by Disqus
- Ken Burns argues that Vietnam is to be blame for much of our current alienation and polarization
- No, Israel Is Not a Democracy
- Drew Gilpin Faust discusses free speech in Harvard commencement address (video)
- General McMaster, Step Down—and Let Trump Be Trump
- Historian David Kaiser says the most exciting day of his life was JFK’s election