White House Renominates Bruce Cole For A Second TermBreaking News
Cole's current term, which began in 2001, expires at the end of 2005. However, assuming Cole is reconfirmed two of his top aides -- his current deputy, Lynn Munson and his Senior Counselor and Congressional affairs officer, Cherie Harder -- won't be there to assist him. Harder is leaving to become one of six policy advisors to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN). At this writing, Munson has not landed a job, though NEH insiders report she has "several irons in the fire." Tom Mallon, a former member of the of the NEH Council who was recently appointed by Cole as Director of the Preservation Programs division has been named "Acting Deputy Chair."
Cole responded to the White House announcement regrading his nomination with the following statement: "I am honored to be nominated by President George W. Bush to serve a second term as Chairman of the NEH. If confirmed, I will continue to vigorously uphold the highest standards of humanities scholarship, while ensuring that more Americans are served by the important work of the Endowment. I am grateful for the support of the President."
Cole is expected to be reconfirmed when the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions led by Senator Mike Enzi (R-WY) and Ranking Member Edward Kennedy (D-MA) considers the nomination; the full Senate must also act on the nomination.
comments powered by Disqus
- Donald Trump Is Wrong on Mosul Attack, Military Experts Say
- Emmett Till memorial sign is riddled with bullet holes and has been repeatedly vandalized
- Posthumous pardons law may see Oscar Wilde exonerated
- Has an Election Ever Been Rigged in U.S. History?
- A short history of white people rigging elections
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller
- Does the 'Father' of the 1948 Ethnic Cleansing Narrative Really Want to Recant His Words?
- Max Boot wants to know “what the hell happened to my Republican Party?"