Leading Republican Compares Iraq and Munich
Those people today calling for a quick exit from Iraq after the shortest possible decent interval apparently can't imagine anything worse than the sad loss of American troops at the current level in Iraq. Just"stop the killing" and"return to sanity." I don't accuse such people of being foolish -- merely lacking in imagination and foresight. Neville Chamberlain was no fool -- he was just wrong.
Confronting Hitler in 1938 over Czechoslovakia was dangerous. If Hitler didn't back down, British troops would die in the following confrontation. Chamberlain was a man of peace, and he kept the peace for another 11 months.
The road to the bloody hell of World War II was paved with Neville Chamberlain's very good intentions to keep the peace.
If the Iraq exit strategy crowd wins the day (and if, as I believe, Henry Kissinger's vision is a prescient one), 60 years from now no one will be celebrating"Exit Strategy Day." But its advocates will certainly share poor old Neville's dingy place in historic memory.
comments powered by Disqus
Stephen Francis Kislock III - 8/21/2005
Your comparison in "leading Republican compares Iraq and Munich", is backwards.
G.W. Bush is the Hitler in this "Iraqi Freedom".
Iraq is Czechoslovakia, the UN is Prime Minister Chamberlain and the ChickenHawks [USofA] are the Agressor Nation. This means G.W. Bush is playing the part of Hitler.
The Invasion of and Iraq and Czechoslovakia are Hitler wanted to free the Germany People of Czechoslovakia and G.W. Bush to free the People of Iraq from Saddam, Identical situtation.....
Mr. Blankley, Where is Osama bin Laden?
Michael Green - 8/19/2005
Has anyone noticed that when someone who opposes George W. Bush and/or his policies offers a comparison to Hitler, the right condemns that person for invoking the greatest evil in the history of mankind? But when someone on the far right does it, the far right deems it perfectly acceptable? Perhaps Mr. Blankley should go back to justifying his former boss in divorcing his first wife when she had cancer instead of engaging in this kind of propagandizing.
- Here's a look at history of 'religious freedom' laws
- ‘Hamilton’ Puts Politics Onstage and Politicians in Attendance
- Earth Tectonic Plate Simulation Reveals Our Planet Has Changed A Lot In 200 Million Years
- For G.O.P., Support for Israel Becomes New Litmus Test
- Yale’s Beinecke Library Buys Vast Collection of Lincoln Photos
- History's Grandin Wins Bancroft Prize for "The Empire of Necessity"
- Nobel prize-winning scientist writes a history of science
- Ken Burns tackles history of cancer
- If historians have their way, Americans will soon learn how important religion has been in US history
- Role-playing history game gets students jazzed