Highway marker honors U-2 spy pilotBreaking News
Stallard was among a crowd of dozens, including Powers' son, Francis Gary Powers Jr. of Midlothian, who attended a brief ceremony yesterday along U.S. 23 to pay tribute to the CIA pilot who spent 21 months as a prisoner of the Soviet Union after his plane was shot down in 1960.
Along with the Berlin airlift, the Cuban missile crisis and Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev's shoe-banging rant at the United Nations, the downing of Powers' reconnaissance plane over Sverdlovsk on May 1, 1960, ranks as one of the most dramatic episodes of the Cold War.
Powers Jr. recalled his father as a man who always remained proud of his roots in this small, mountain town and never let his pivotal role in the Cold War swell his head.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity