Tiny Bronte manuscript that introduces world to Jane Eyre character Bertha goes up for auction
An unpublished story by Charlotte Bronte is expected to sell for £300,000 at auction next month.
The 4,000-word piece is handwritten on 19 pages each barely larger than a credit card and needs a magnifying glass to be read properly.
Written in 1830 when she was only 14, Bronte's story contains scenes which bear a striking resemblance to Jane Eyre, her novel published 17 years later....
comments powered by Disqus
- Biographer of a Progressive reformer says it's odd reading stories about inequality in the news every day
- Dutch sociologist says that what is new about mass killing is that we’re embarrassed by it
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- Convicted felon Conrad Black has a new book out
- German Historian: Rich Greeks Evade Taxes Since 1830