Preservationist Is Facing New ChallengesBreaking News
For 40 years, Bill Lavicka fought noisily to save old Chicago churches, houses and other neighborhood architecture from the wrecking ball. He worked quietly to restore buildings all over the city, rehabilitating dozens in his whimsical style.
One day in 2004, Mr. Lavicka lamented that for 17 years he had been maintaining his odd and out-of-the-way Vietnam Survivors Memorial on Oakley Boulevard, and he was starting to worry about who would look after it when he was gone.
“How many more 17 years do you think I got left?” he said.
This year Mr. Lavicka, an outspoken Chicago activist, artist and real estate developer, now 66, received a diagnosis of Stage 4 colon cancer, and he is counting time in far smaller increments....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity