Guy Fawkes Gets a Last Laugh, 500 Years Later
POLITICS aside, the Occupy Wall Street movement has given us some memorable imagery: electric-blue tarps, various graphic riffs on 99 percent, the hipster cop.
The stark-white mask, with a Mephistophelian upturned mustache and dagger-thin goatee, was worn by V, the faceless leader in the comic book “V for Vendetta,” who overthrows a future totalitarian society. The anti-establishment message has been embraced by the Wall Street occupiers.
At Zuccotti Park last week, a half-dozen occupiers wore the mask. “This is a leaderless movement,” said Julio Rolon, 36, a chef from Puerto Rico, who wore the mask, like many people, on the back of his head. “People in power don’t know who they’re going to have to take down first.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- 1,000 + historians have signed a petition protesting US government plan to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Vietnam War
- Historian and raconteur Raychauduri dies in UK
- Group is drawing attention to the historic swath between Gettysburg and Monticello
- Conference delves into effects of climate change on native people
- History professor says the Vikings never came to Newfoundland