Guy Fawkes Gets a Last Laugh, 500 Years LaterBreaking News
POLITICS aside, the Occupy Wall Street movement has given us some memorable imagery: electric-blue tarps, various graphic riffs on 99 percent, the hipster cop.
The stark-white mask, with a Mephistophelian upturned mustache and dagger-thin goatee, was worn by V, the faceless leader in the comic book “V for Vendetta,” who overthrows a future totalitarian society. The anti-establishment message has been embraced by the Wall Street occupiers.
At Zuccotti Park last week, a half-dozen occupiers wore the mask. “This is a leaderless movement,” said Julio Rolon, 36, a chef from Puerto Rico, who wore the mask, like many people, on the back of his head. “People in power don’t know who they’re going to have to take down first.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Children should be taught about suffering under the British Empire, Jeremy Corbyn says
- Collateral damage: A brief history of U.S. mistakes at war
- East Germany's secrets are slowly being revealed
- William Buckley's FBI files released
- Graphic of the Week: Browse An Archive of 170,000 Depression-Era Photos
- Daniel Pipes says we should be worried that immigrants don’t share western values
- Nobel Prize in Literature Awarded to journalist Svetlana Alexievich
- Niall Ferguson leaving Harvard for Stanford
- Integration Of Cheerleaders Was Difficult To Achieve
- New-York Historical Society to Open Women’s History Center