Guy Fawkes Gets a Last Laugh, 500 Years LaterBreaking News
POLITICS aside, the Occupy Wall Street movement has given us some memorable imagery: electric-blue tarps, various graphic riffs on 99 percent, the hipster cop.
The stark-white mask, with a Mephistophelian upturned mustache and dagger-thin goatee, was worn by V, the faceless leader in the comic book “V for Vendetta,” who overthrows a future totalitarian society. The anti-establishment message has been embraced by the Wall Street occupiers.
At Zuccotti Park last week, a half-dozen occupiers wore the mask. “This is a leaderless movement,” said Julio Rolon, 36, a chef from Puerto Rico, who wore the mask, like many people, on the back of his head. “People in power don’t know who they’re going to have to take down first.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- A team of science historians are attempting to re-create recipes from sixteenth-century alchemy texts
- David Kennedy recalls his dinners with President Obama
- When Kellie Jones Wanted To Study Black Art History, The Field Didn’t Exist. So She Created It Herself.
- Michael Honey: The 60’s activist turned historian
- Holocaust historian 'will quit US' if Trump is elected