Wall collapse in Pompeii renews worries for siteBreaking News
ROME (Reuters) - Part of a Roman wall in Pompeii's ancient ruins has collapsed, authorities said on Saturday, a year after a gladiator house in the site crumbled and embarrassed Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's government.
A chunk of the exterior of a perimeter wall in the Porta Nola area crumbled overnight between Thursday and Friday after bad weather in the area, Pompeii's archaeological superintendent department said in a statement.
The collapse involved a roughly four metre-by-two metre (four yard-by-two yard) portion of wall in an area that is less frequented by tourists.
The damage was "limited and contained", the statement said....
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history