Plaque honour for Llanelli Battle of Britain pilotBreaking News
A college in Carmarthenshire is to honour an RAF pilot who was killed in the Battle of Britain.
Historians say Reg Isaac from Llanelli selflessly flew his Spitfire into a German ambush on 5 August,1940 to save his comrades, knowing he would die.
A plaque will be unveiled at Coleg Sir Gar, the old Llanelli Grammar School, where he went from 1927 to 1934.
Former Conservative leader Lord Howard, who also went to the school, will perform the unveiling.
Friday's dedication is part of a programme by the Battle of Britain Historical Society to place a plaque in the schools of each of about 2,900 pilots who fought on the British side.
Wartime Prime Minister Winston Churchill praised them as 'The Few' who saved Britain from German invasion....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Tourism spot for Colonial Williamsburg shocks some New Yorkers during Super Bowl 50 for use of 9/11 attack footage
- We asked 6 political scientists if Bernie Sanders would have a shot in a general election
- The price of oil has plummeted and with it Russia’s finances
- Legal scholars at Harvard debate Cruz’s eligibility to serve as president
- Has one of Sally Hemings’s siblings been neglected by history unfairly?
- Retired historian George Dennison remains on the payroll at the U. of Montana while faculty are cut
- The Atlantic profiles exciting ways to teach history
- LDS Church has gone from 0 to 4 historians specializing in women’s history
- American Historical Association protests Turkey’s crackdown on historians and other academics who signed a a petition critical of the Turkish government
- Israeli historian Yair Auron lays out details of a massacre in 1948