Fox and Friends ‘Clarifies’ Its False Reporting About ‘Hiroshima Apology’ WikiLeaks Cable
Thursday, we reported on a Fox and Friends story that contained enough whole cloth to start its own garment district. Among other things, Fox and Friends falsely reported that a WikiLeaks diplomatic cable showed that President Obama proposed a visit to Hiroshima to apologize for the WWII atomic bombing of that city, and of Nagasaki. We contacted Fox News about the inaccuracies in the story, and they promised us that they would “address” the story Friday morning.
In their initial reporting, Fox’s morning trio combined to deliver such false claims, about the leaked diplomatic cable, as:
- “President Obama wanted to apologize” for Hiroshima.
- The White House had a great idea. Let’s apologize for dropping that bomb on Hiroshima.
- A Japanese official “stopped it.”...
comments powered by Disqus
- Historians gloss over too many unpalatable truths, Antony Beevor says
- Historian shares his own experience with mental illness
- Daniel Pipes calls the rulers of Iran "madmen" on official Iranian TV
- A Professor Tries to Beat Back a News Spoof That Won’t Go Away
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?