South Korean history textbooks undergo significant changesBreaking News
In particular, history textbooks have been subject to frequent changes, as they carry ``time.’’ However, the changes did not only regard historical events but also explanations and perspectives on historical facts.
``Textbook revisions were mainly a result of changes in the purpose of history education and how historical facts were interpreted,’’ said Choi Sang-hoon, president of the Korean Association of History Education.
``In the past, history education focused on the memorization of facts and on instilling patriotism, while it now mainly concentrates on helping students set up proper historical views,’’ he said.
The academic background of textbook writers and the writers’ biases also have an influence on the content of textbooks, Choi said, adding that the intention of educational authorities to justify an ideology are reflected in the writers they select.
Rep. Lee In-young of the ruling Uri Party surveyed high school history textbooks published from 1960 through 2002 by the government and publishing companies.
Textbooks could not include the April 3, 1948 rebellion, an uprising on Cheju Island, until 1976 under the authoritarian regimes of former Presidents Syngman Rhee and Park Chung-hee.
comments powered by Disqus
- Veteran Congressman Still Pushing for Reparations in a Divided America
- Hitler's phone, 'the most destructive 'weapon' of all time,' sold for $243,000
- NYT features fascinating story about Ford’s fantasyland in Brazil
- Mark Zuckerberg issues manifesto on the future of Facebook that rests on insights of Israeli historian Yuval Harari
- Migration To Americas Came in Waves, According to Big Data
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”
- Israeli schools' history lessons create good soldiers, says pundit
- Yuval Noah Harari foresees a god-like future for humans