British heritage sites under threatBreaking News
The World Monuments Fund (WMF), a non-profit organisation dedicated to the preservation of historic buildings and attractions, included the sites on its annual watch list.
They include Newstead Abbey, the ancestral home of Lord Byron, the ruins of Coventry’s old cathedral, which was struck by bombs during the Second World War, the isolated island of St Helena in the South Atlantic Ocean, where Napoleon was imprisoned and died, and Quarr Abbey on the Isle of Wight.
Birmingham Central Library, The Hayward Gallery in London and Preston Bus Station, a trio of concrete buildings grouped under the umbrella “British Brutalism”, were also declared under threat.
“The World Monuments Watch is a call to action on behalf of endangered cultural heritage sites across the globe,” said Bonnie Burnham, the WMF president, at a press conference in New York....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity