As young men, they forged connections amid the misery of war. As old men, the veterans of the China-Burma-India campaign will gatherBreaking News
American membership in the veterans group initially totaled about 83,000 in 140 units (known as Bashas, the military acronym for bamboo-and-straw-hut, assembled) throughout the nation. Today, membership has dropped to about 5,000 in fewer than 100 units, so the organization has decided to dissolve itself.
But those who remain have chosen to go out with a booze-filled bang instead of a bedside whimper. The formal end of the national group will come as a week-long affair at the next annual meeting, starting Aug. 31, in Arlington, Va.
"We don't want to wait for the last man to turn out the lights," explained Joe Birk, 82, a Port Washington resident and co-founder of the Long Island Basha, whose roster has gone from 125 to less than 90. "Many of us are in wheelchairs or using walkers, and there are no replacements in the wings."
Unlike other veterans' groups, such as the American Legion, which gains members from new wars in different places, the CBI association has been limited to a single theater (albeit a huge one, stretching for more than 4,000 miles across Asia) in one war.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity