The Times Square Kiss: Technology Tests Suggest Identity of the Couple in the Photograph
The photo was taken by Life Magazine photographer Alfred Eisenstadt.
Carl Muscarello, an ex-NYC cop, has long claimed he was the sailor in the picture. Now, according to CBS News, technology tests seem to support his claim.
A team of volunteers from the Naval War College, in Newport, contacted the Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories, of Cambridge, Mass., last year after hearing about a computer program that its scientists designed to"age" missing children and fugitive criminals.
The team was led by retired Navy Capt. Jerry O'Donnell, Mendonsa's neighbor since 1999. He'd heard the older man's tale and was intrigued by what he said.
"There are a lot of people in history who claimed to be the kissing sailor, but nobody has come up with any hard evidence," said O'Donnell, who works at the Navy Warfare Development Command."We decided we wanted to use cutting-edge technology to find the answer."
So on a winter day this year, Mendonsa went to the Mitsubishi lab, where he was placed in a chair surrounded by 150 bright lights, 16 cameras and 16 state-of-the-art computers.
In less than a minute, more than 4,000 digital images of Mendonsa were taken, which were then used to create a 3-D model of his face.
The lab was then able to"de-age" the present-day Mendonsa and transfer his face to a copy of Eisenstadt's photo from 1945.
The man in the original photo and his counterpart in the reproduction appear nearly identical.
Click on the link above for a video of the CBS News story.
Click here for an article in the Providence Journal.
comments powered by Disqus
- Harvard acquires Thoreau's notes on the death of Margaret Fuller
- It’s a national historic site, but hardly anybody visits the Idaho internment camp where thousands of Japanese Americans were incarcerated in WW II
- Big-time Hollywood director makes a movie about Stonewall
- HMS Victory: The mystery of Britain's worst naval disaster is finally solved - 271 years later
- A salute lost to history
- High school senior credited with debunking book by Professor Richard Jensen
- Historians at loggerheads over the AP standards
- Bettany Hughes interview: The historian on how Socrates would have solved Greece's problems
- U.K. Released Hundreds of Nazis After the Holocaust, Says Leading Historian
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?