Holocaust survivor killed by Hurricane Irene
An 82-year-old Brooklyn grandmother who survived the Holocaust drowned in her flooded holiday cottage when Hurricane Irene hit the Catskills Mountains near New York last weekend.
Rozalia Stern-Gluck was on holiday in the popular Fleischmanns resort but was trapped when a nearby creek overflowed on Sunday morning and flooded her cottage with over six feet of water.
Her husband escaped but rescuers were unable to answer her screams for help because of the surging flood waters. Her body could only be recovered by police when floodwaters subsided on Monday.
Isaac Abraham, a Jewish community leader, said Mrs Stern-Gluck was born in Russia and came to to the US after surviving the Holocaust....
comments powered by Disqus
- Columbia University Releases Eric Foner’s Civil War MOOCs. It's Free!
- Historian Geoffrey Ward tells CBS: Fox News would have ‘loved’ to show FDR with polio ‘at his most helpless’
- Eric Hobsbawm is remembered as a polyglot of a kind that's vanished
- Once again Ken Burns turns to Geoffrey Ward to write his script, this time about the Roosevelts
- Historian warns that countries go into decline when they become rigid, oppress minorities, and become weak militarily