Holocaust survivor killed by Hurricane IreneBreaking News
An 82-year-old Brooklyn grandmother who survived the Holocaust drowned in her flooded holiday cottage when Hurricane Irene hit the Catskills Mountains near New York last weekend.
Rozalia Stern-Gluck was on holiday in the popular Fleischmanns resort but was trapped when a nearby creek overflowed on Sunday morning and flooded her cottage with over six feet of water.
Her husband escaped but rescuers were unable to answer her screams for help because of the surging flood waters. Her body could only be recovered by police when floodwaters subsided on Monday.
Isaac Abraham, a Jewish community leader, said Mrs Stern-Gluck was born in Russia and came to to the US after surviving the Holocaust....
comments powered by Disqus
- New Yorker profiles activist who's drawing attention to lynchings
- Wisconsin GOP senator wants to replace history professors with Ken Burns videos
- UT removes Confederate inscription that it previously said would stay
- The man behind the Smithsonian’s new African-American history museum
- Greece vows pressure on Germany to get WWII reparations
- Some Ohio University professors ditch the textbooks, and the prices
- Renowned Israeli Holocaust Historian: ‘If I Were a British Jew, I’d Be Worried’
- Heather Ann Thompson pries loose the long-kept secrets of Attica in her new book
- Lonnie Bunch remembers his first day on the job as director of the new black history museum
- Speaker Ryan loves pseudo-historian David Barton