Holocaust survivor killed by Hurricane Irene
An 82-year-old Brooklyn grandmother who survived the Holocaust drowned in her flooded holiday cottage when Hurricane Irene hit the Catskills Mountains near New York last weekend.
Rozalia Stern-Gluck was on holiday in the popular Fleischmanns resort but was trapped when a nearby creek overflowed on Sunday morning and flooded her cottage with over six feet of water.
Her husband escaped but rescuers were unable to answer her screams for help because of the surging flood waters. Her body could only be recovered by police when floodwaters subsided on Monday.
Isaac Abraham, a Jewish community leader, said Mrs Stern-Gluck was born in Russia and came to to the US after surviving the Holocaust....
comments powered by Disqus
- Scientists Say Proof Of Jack The Ripper's Identity Is Fatally Flawed
- Memorial for black Revolutionary War soldiers finds spot on Mall after 30 years
- Sherlock Holmes star to feature in a new movie about Alan Turning
- Man’s Genome From 45,000 Years Ago Is Reconstructed
- This company claims its video games about the French Revolution are accurate