Where History Casts a Fearsome Shadow, Murmurings About the Far RightBreaking News
STUTTGART, Germany — The swastika is illegal here, as is the Hitler salute. Germans have learned after decades of fighting their expression that the ideas behind them cannot be outlawed.
But the question facing German officials today is whether pushing those ideas underground makes them more radical in the short term, and maybe even more attractive in the long run, precisely because they are forbidden.
In the debate over the rise of the far right in Europe, Germany has remained, for obvious reasons related to its history, very much the exception. The kind of mainstream far-right parties so common in the rest of Europe are nowhere to be found here.
But the anti-Islam and anti-immigrant ideas that have taken root across the Continent burst into the mainstream debate here last year when a book by an executive with Germany’s central bank, Thilo Sarrazin, blaming Muslims for “dumbing down” Germany sold more than a million copies. The national discussion culminated with Chancellor Angela Merkel’s declaration at a party conference last October that multiculturalism had “utterly failed.”
That same month a study by the Friedrich Ebert Foundation, an organization affiliated with the left-wing Social Democratic Party, found that nearly a third of Germans believed that foreigners were here to take advantage of the welfare state, and that close to 60 percent of those surveyed favored restrictions on the practice of Islam....'
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity