Killers of India's Rajiv Gandhi lose clemency bidBreaking News
Indian President Pratibha Patil has rejected mercy pleas from three Tamils convicted of the 1991 assassination of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
In theory, the ruling paves the way for their execution, officials say.
However, there are a growing number of people on death row who have exhausted all legal appeals but whose sentences have not been carried out.
Correspondents say bureaucratic delays and a shortage of hangmen have contributed to the backlog....
comments powered by Disqus
- Craig Shirley says Ted Cruz is right and the Huffington Post wrong about Ronald Reagan’s 1980 Presidential Campaign
- Mystery at Notre Dame: A priest-historian has been forced to back off a project promoting authentic Catholic education
- William & Mary launching a gay history project
- "I teach the largest gay and lesbian history class in the country."
- Another year of declines in history enrollments