Vladimir Putin goes diving in the Black Sea
Vladimir Putin, Russia's prime minister has added underwater archaeology to his long list of outdoor pursuits, diving beneath the Black Sea to explore the submerged ruins of an ancient Greek city known as Russia's Atlantis.
In a carefully co-ordinated publicity stunt designed to show the 58-year-old Russian prime minister as a dynamic figure interested in his country's heritage, Mr Putin went diving off the Taman Peninsula in southern Russia on Wednesday afternoon.
The area was the site of an ancient Greek settlement known as Phanagoria that is currently being excavated by Russian archaeologists, and Mr Putin's scuba diving foray into its submerged ruins received top billing on Russian state TV....
comments powered by Disqus
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean
- The Council on Foreign Relations Honors Kissinger Critic
- Architectural historian discovers Chartres Cathedral has started faking it
- Rick Perlstein hits back at a critic of his book on Reagan
- So Historians Are Surprised by What DNA Can Tell Us?