James Wizeye: To Claim Tutsis Caused Rwanda's Genocide is Pure RevisionismRoundup: Talking About History
James Wizeye is first secretary at the Rwanda high commission, London.. .
Despite their claims not to be deniers and revisionists, Edward Herman and David Peterson's assertions on the 1994 genocide against the Tutsis of Rwanda depict a deliberate effort to rewrite and revise the history of the slaughter (Response: We're not genocide deniers. We just want to uncover the truth, 19 July).
"Our work reallocates the primary responsibility for the genocide of April-July 1994, away from the standard account's 'conspiracy to commit genocide' by 'Hutu Power', towards Tutsi leader Paul Kagame and his superior armed forces," they state. Rwanda suffered one of the most well-documented genocides in the world. The truth, backed by copious evidence, is that it was a meticulously planned and viciously executed campaign of extermination of the Tutsis.
The genocide was committed in broad daylight and often under the direct view of international humanitarian organisations and UN peacekeepers. In fact, Jean Kambanda, then prime minister, confessed before the UN International Tribunal for Rwanda and accepted responsibility for the genocide...
comments powered by Disqus
- Fake News and Fervent Nationalism Got a Senator Tarred as a Traitor During WWI
- Debunking Viral Story, Art Historian Says ‘Allah’ Does Not Appear on Ancient Viking Garment
- Will Trump Be Remembered as the Worst President in History? Almost Half Think So
- Thank This Man For Your Last-Minute Halloween Costume
- Letters from young Obama show a man trying to find his way
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian
- Historian discovers early Reformation writings “hiding in plain sight”
- Victor Davis Hanson says we shouldn’t be rushing to war with North Korea