James Wizeye: To Claim Tutsis Caused Rwanda's Genocide is Pure Revisionism
James Wizeye is first secretary at the Rwanda high commission, London.. .
Despite their claims not to be deniers and revisionists, Edward Herman and David Peterson's assertions on the 1994 genocide against the Tutsis of Rwanda depict a deliberate effort to rewrite and revise the history of the slaughter (Response: We're not genocide deniers. We just want to uncover the truth, 19 July).
"Our work reallocates the primary responsibility for the genocide of April-July 1994, away from the standard account's 'conspiracy to commit genocide' by 'Hutu Power', towards Tutsi leader Paul Kagame and his superior armed forces," they state. Rwanda suffered one of the most well-documented genocides in the world. The truth, backed by copious evidence, is that it was a meticulously planned and viciously executed campaign of extermination of the Tutsis.
The genocide was committed in broad daylight and often under the direct view of international humanitarian organisations and UN peacekeepers. In fact, Jean Kambanda, then prime minister, confessed before the UN International Tribunal for Rwanda and accepted responsibility for the genocide...
comments powered by Disqus
- U.S. Textbook Skews History, Prime Minister of Japan Says
- Recalling a Film From the Liberation of the Camps
- Skull Fossil Offers New Clues on Human Journey From Africa
- Are crude conspiracies right? Research shows nations really do go to war over oil
- Famed SC civil rights protesters have convictions erased
- Columbia University professors Eric Foner, Alan Brinkley, and Alice Kessler-Harris to retire
- A powerhouse appropriations subcommittee is now headed by a historian: Republican Rep. Tom Cole (OK)
- Slavic scholars divided over a scholarship sponsored (and withdrawn) by Stephen F. Cohen
- Claire Strom to Step Down as Editor of Agricultural History
- Joan Peters’s legacy assessed by one of her fiercest critics, Norman Finkelstein