Warren Rosenblum: Vive la France!Roundup: Talking About History
Warren Rosenblum is associate professor of history at Webster University. In 2010-2011, he was a visiting scholar at Harvard University's Center for European Studies.
We had the classic American Fourth of July this year. Grilled ribs, potato salad, and then, after dinner, we trashed the French. The ostensible topic was Dominique Strauss-Kahn — the French political leader and recently accused rapist whom many Americans apparently see as the reincarnation of Pepe Le Pew (with a dose of the Tasmanian Devil thrown in) — but the post-dinner anti-French sentiment wafted into other areas as well.
I felt bad, though I kept my mouth shut. The food was superb, the company was wonderful, and no one wants to hear a historian start waxing pedantically about everything Lafayette did to help America win its freedom. A good way to make sure we do not get invited back next year.
But 12 days later, everything is different I hope. Now, it is the birthday of France's revolution, symbolized by the storming of the Bastille prison on July 14, 1789. Unfortunately, on this topic too, Americans frequently are disdainful. Our national holiday celebrates the signing of a poetic and beautiful Declaration of Independence. The French celebrate the actions of a mob marching around Paris with heads on spikes. Our revolution led to the creation of a constitution that has lasted more than 220 years. The French Revolution quickly devolved into dictatorship and terror and the eventual rise of the emperor Napoleon.
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity