Anaesthetics and disinfectants are thought to be a modern medical invention but evidence is coming to light that medieval doctors knew of them too.Breaking News
Dressings have also been found, some still with salves or human tissues attached and the scientists have discovered a mixture of Quicklime (calcium oxide) which scientists believe was used as a disinfectant and a deodorant.
Dr Brian Moffat archeo-ethno-pharmocologist and director of investigations for the Soutra Project, studies clumps of seeds from the site.
comments powered by Disqus
Jeremy Dupertuis Bangs - 8/13/2005
At the Leiden American Pilgrim Museum we have a page written in Dutch ca. 1600, that contains a recipe for a salve for wounds. The active ingredient is horseshit ("paardedreck"). From my wife I've heard that in the 1920's her grandmother was advised by her doctor that her foot needed to be amputated, but that her father-in-law, a Wisconsin farmer, advised her to try his remedy for a couple of weeks first. He dressed the foot in a bag of horseshit. After two weeks her foot was healed and no amputation was needed. I suppose that horseshit, being processed grain (generally equivalent to bread in that both are processed grain), must have developed penicillin, which I've heard can arise in bread mold. The page from ca. 1600 is further filled with random jottings and a cartoon-like sketch of a gentleman - so it's not a page from a medical manual. Probably the recipe was fairly commonly known.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity