Anaesthetics and disinfectants are thought to be a modern medical invention but evidence is coming to light that medieval doctors knew of them too.Breaking News
Dressings have also been found, some still with salves or human tissues attached and the scientists have discovered a mixture of Quicklime (calcium oxide) which scientists believe was used as a disinfectant and a deodorant.
Dr Brian Moffat archeo-ethno-pharmocologist and director of investigations for the Soutra Project, studies clumps of seeds from the site.
comments powered by Disqus
Jeremy Dupertuis Bangs - 8/13/2005
At the Leiden American Pilgrim Museum we have a page written in Dutch ca. 1600, that contains a recipe for a salve for wounds. The active ingredient is horseshit ("paardedreck"). From my wife I've heard that in the 1920's her grandmother was advised by her doctor that her foot needed to be amputated, but that her father-in-law, a Wisconsin farmer, advised her to try his remedy for a couple of weeks first. He dressed the foot in a bag of horseshit. After two weeks her foot was healed and no amputation was needed. I suppose that horseshit, being processed grain (generally equivalent to bread in that both are processed grain), must have developed penicillin, which I've heard can arise in bread mold. The page from ca. 1600 is further filled with random jottings and a cartoon-like sketch of a gentleman - so it's not a page from a medical manual. Probably the recipe was fairly commonly known.
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)