Anaesthetics and disinfectants are thought to be a modern medical invention but evidence is coming to light that medieval doctors knew of them too.Breaking News
Dressings have also been found, some still with salves or human tissues attached and the scientists have discovered a mixture of Quicklime (calcium oxide) which scientists believe was used as a disinfectant and a deodorant.
Dr Brian Moffat archeo-ethno-pharmocologist and director of investigations for the Soutra Project, studies clumps of seeds from the site.
comments powered by Disqus
Jeremy Dupertuis Bangs - 8/13/2005
At the Leiden American Pilgrim Museum we have a page written in Dutch ca. 1600, that contains a recipe for a salve for wounds. The active ingredient is horseshit ("paardedreck"). From my wife I've heard that in the 1920's her grandmother was advised by her doctor that her foot needed to be amputated, but that her father-in-law, a Wisconsin farmer, advised her to try his remedy for a couple of weeks first. He dressed the foot in a bag of horseshit. After two weeks her foot was healed and no amputation was needed. I suppose that horseshit, being processed grain (generally equivalent to bread in that both are processed grain), must have developed penicillin, which I've heard can arise in bread mold. The page from ca. 1600 is further filled with random jottings and a cartoon-like sketch of a gentleman - so it's not a page from a medical manual. Probably the recipe was fairly commonly known.
- Did Salmonella Kill Off the Aztecs?
- Jewish history is under siege in the middle east and these volunteers are risking their lives to protect it
- 'Amazon should stop selling Holocaust denial books'
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Reaches Milestone of 1 Million Visitors
- What Makes a President Great? Clipping? Sipping? Slashing?
- McMaster knows how national security policy can go wrong. Will that help him?
- Historian and Antiwar Activist Marilyn Young Dies at 79
- Trump Chooses Historian H.R. McMaster as National Security Adviser
- Holocaust Historian Deborah Lipstadt Explains Why People Believe Trump's Lies
- Princeton’s Harold James warns World War Three is now a "serious threat”