Newest Affiliates of the AHA
Robert B. Townsend is deputy director of the AHA.
At its meeting in early June, the AHA Council accepted four new applications for affiliation from the Association for Documentary Editing and three research centers at the Newberry Library (the Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography, the D’Arcy McNickle Center for American Indian and Indigenous Studies, and the Dr. William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture). The three centers join the Newberry’s Center for Renaissance Studies as affiliates of the AHA. Learn more about each center below:
- Newberry Library D’Arcy McNickle Center for American Indian and Indigenous Studies
The McNickle Center’s goals are to encourage the use of the Newberry collections in American Indian and indigenous studies; improve the quality of what is written about American Indians and indigenous peoples; educate teachers about American Indian and indigenous cultures, histories, and literatures; assist American Indian tribal and indigenous historians in their research; and provide a meeting ground where scholars, teachers, tribal historians, and others interested in American Indian and indigenous studies can discuss their work with each other.
- Newberry Library Dr. William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture
The Dr. William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture promotes innovative research and teaching through the use of the Newberry Library’s rich collections in American history, culture, and the humanities.
- Newberry Library Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography
The Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography was founded in 1971 to support the mission of the Newberry Library as it relates to the field of the history of cartography.
comments powered by Disqus
- Coming Soon, a Century Late: A Black Film Gem
- The discovery that complicated the history of sex change operations
- NYT identifies the person who exposed Gary Hart's philandering
- Decades After Trinity Nuclear Test in New Mexico, U.S. Studies Cancer Fallout
- Lawrence Of Arabia's Hand-Drawn, WWI Map Is Up for Auction
- Ken Burns is in a race to slow us down
- Ken Burns and the Myth of Theodore Roosevelt
- What Ken Burns Doesn't Understand about the Roosevelts
- A call for historians to do macro history
- Colorado school board, worried about the new AP framework, wants to make sure high school kids are taught patriotic history