Newest Affiliates of the AHAHistorians in the News
Robert B. Townsend is deputy director of the AHA.
At its meeting in early June, the AHA Council accepted four new applications for affiliation from the Association for Documentary Editing and three research centers at the Newberry Library (the Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography, the D’Arcy McNickle Center for American Indian and Indigenous Studies, and the Dr. William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture). The three centers join the Newberry’s Center for Renaissance Studies as affiliates of the AHA. Learn more about each center below:
- Newberry Library D’Arcy McNickle Center for American Indian and Indigenous Studies
The McNickle Center’s goals are to encourage the use of the Newberry collections in American Indian and indigenous studies; improve the quality of what is written about American Indians and indigenous peoples; educate teachers about American Indian and indigenous cultures, histories, and literatures; assist American Indian tribal and indigenous historians in their research; and provide a meeting ground where scholars, teachers, tribal historians, and others interested in American Indian and indigenous studies can discuss their work with each other.
- Newberry Library Dr. William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture
The Dr. William M. Scholl Center for American History and Culture promotes innovative research and teaching through the use of the Newberry Library’s rich collections in American history, culture, and the humanities.
- Newberry Library Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography
The Hermon Dunlap Smith Center for the History of Cartography was founded in 1971 to support the mission of the Newberry Library as it relates to the field of the history of cartography.
comments powered by Disqus
- Black Delegates at GOP Convention at Lowest Level in History
- Richard Moe calls on Obama to make Utah's Bears Ears a national monument. Bears Ears?
- What History Says About Donald Trump’s Convention Speech
- Rep. Steve King doubles down on white supremacy claim
- Does Melania Trump know what plagiarism is?
- Daniel Pipes: “Why I Just Quit the Republican Party"
- Jill Lepore attended the GOP convention
- Ramsay Cook died in Toronto on July 14, after a brief battle with pancreatic cancer
- Adam Hochschild says he met the ghosts of his own work at a recent visit to the multiplex
- Colleges are implored to teach their own history