Obama urged to investigate Bush torture claims
A campaign group has said the US president should order a criminal investigation into alleged torture sanctioned by the Bush administration.
Human Rights Watch (HRW) says there is "overwhelming evidence" of torture ordered by George W Bush.
The former president has defended some of the techniques, saying they prevented attacks and saved lives.
The Obama administration has launched inquiries into deaths in CIA custody and other "unauthorised actions".
But HRW argues these inquiries will not cover the activities which were specifically authorised as legal by officials within the Bush administration.
The former president, vice-president, defence secretary and head of the CIA should all be investigated, the group says....
comments powered by Disqus
- The Council on Foreign Relations Honors Kissinger Critic
- Architectural historian discovers Chartres Cathedral has started faking it
- Rick Perlstein hits back at a critic of his book on Reagan
- So Historians Are Surprised by What DNA Can Tell Us?
- AHA won't be considering petition to boycott Israel, unless it's introduced at the Business Meeting