Obama urged to investigate Bush torture claimsBreaking News
A campaign group has said the US president should order a criminal investigation into alleged torture sanctioned by the Bush administration.
Human Rights Watch (HRW) says there is "overwhelming evidence" of torture ordered by George W Bush.
The former president has defended some of the techniques, saying they prevented attacks and saved lives.
The Obama administration has launched inquiries into deaths in CIA custody and other "unauthorised actions".
But HRW argues these inquiries will not cover the activities which were specifically authorised as legal by officials within the Bush administration.
The former president, vice-president, defence secretary and head of the CIA should all be investigated, the group says....
comments powered by Disqus
- Call to help Moroccan historian Maâti Monjib, who has been on hunger strike since 6 October 2015
- Charles Gillispie, trailblazer in the history of science, dies at 97
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- NC student’s senior thesis selected as top paper sheds light on little-known victory over Jim Crow
- Historian Who Probed Austria’s Nazi Past Begins Sentence for Defrauding State