Viking Ship to Sail the Waters of Chautauqua LakeBreaking News
Jamestown, N.Y. (WKBW release) -- The Vikings are coming! The Vikings are coming!
Centuries ago, such a statement would have been viewed as an ominous warning of impending doom to coastal towns and villages throughout western Europe. Today, however, it should be met with great enthusiasm, as anyone wanting to catch a glimpse of a replica Viking ship will have the chance to do so on July 14 when The Norseman sails the waters of Chautauqua Lake.
The event is being held to help promote the 2011 Scandinavian Folk Festival, taking place July 15 – 17 at the Gerry Rodeo Grounds, located just 10 minutes north of Jamestown.
The Norseman is a ship owned by The Leif Ericson Viking Ship, Inc. – a not-for-profit education group from Philadelphia aimed at raising awareness of Leif Ericson and the Viking’s role in world history. It is a 40 foot-long replica and has a mast that rises 24.5 feet above the waterline. The sail is 17 feet by 17.5 feet. The vessel also features a figurehead, representing a sea serpent that was hand-carved by artist and sculptor Marty Martinson. The shields on the side represent the countries of Canada, Denmark, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. It is rated for a maximum crew of 20 people....
comments powered by Disqus
- Artist Corrects Inaccuracies At The George W. Bush Library With Augmented Reality
- “Unprecedented” discovery of mysterious structures created by Neanderthals
- This Man Spent 25 Years Documenting Every Day of Hitler's Life
- Anti-Gay, Pro-Creationism Birther Won’t Be Deciding What Textbooks Your Kids Read
- What About Us, Nagasaki Asks, as Obama’s Hiroshima Trip Nears
- David Lowenthal, author of "The Past Is a Foreign Country,” says it’s folly to scratch the names of slaveholders off buildings
- Jean Edward Smith, biographer of FDR and Ike, has a new biography coming out … of George W. Bush
- Flora Fraser, biographer of George and Martha Washington, wins $50,000 George Washington Prize
- Michael Cohen explains why he calls his book on 1968 “American Malestrom"
- Fredrik Logevall on Obama's Legacy