Viking Ship to Sail the Waters of Chautauqua LakeBreaking News
Jamestown, N.Y. (WKBW release) -- The Vikings are coming! The Vikings are coming!
Centuries ago, such a statement would have been viewed as an ominous warning of impending doom to coastal towns and villages throughout western Europe. Today, however, it should be met with great enthusiasm, as anyone wanting to catch a glimpse of a replica Viking ship will have the chance to do so on July 14 when The Norseman sails the waters of Chautauqua Lake.
The event is being held to help promote the 2011 Scandinavian Folk Festival, taking place July 15 – 17 at the Gerry Rodeo Grounds, located just 10 minutes north of Jamestown.
The Norseman is a ship owned by The Leif Ericson Viking Ship, Inc. – a not-for-profit education group from Philadelphia aimed at raising awareness of Leif Ericson and the Viking’s role in world history. It is a 40 foot-long replica and has a mast that rises 24.5 feet above the waterline. The sail is 17 feet by 17.5 feet. The vessel also features a figurehead, representing a sea serpent that was hand-carved by artist and sculptor Marty Martinson. The shields on the side represent the countries of Canada, Denmark, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. It is rated for a maximum crew of 20 people....
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity