Jamaicans would have been better off British - poll
A survey for a Jamaican newspaper suggests most islanders believe the country would have been better off if it had remained a British colony.
The poll, commissioned by The Gleaner, found that 60% of respondents backed this view. But 17% disagreed.
A thousand people took part in the survey, out of a population of 2.7m. The poll has a reported margin of error of plus or minus 4%.
Jamaica is due to celebrate 50 years of independence next year.
It is not clear what main reasons the respondents had for their choices.
comments powered by Disqus
- Judith Kelleher Schafer, 72, a historian of slavery and prostitution, dies
- Northwestern celebrates Garry Wills with a book in his honor
- Conservatives go after UCLA's historian James Gelvin
- Laura Hillenbrand writes her masterpieces despite suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- New PBS DVD From Henry Louis Gates Jr. Explores African Influence on the Caribbean