Gritty Tape to Some, Contraband to NASABreaking News
Solved: the case of the missing moon dust.
The United States attorney’s office for eastern Missouri announced Thursday that it had recovered government property stolen more than 40 years ago: a triangular nub of transparent tape an eighth of an inch wide.
Unlike most missing office supplies, this tape was speckled with moon dust brought back by the Apollo 11 astronauts....
The item turned up last month at Regency-Superior, an auction house in St. Louis. The woman who put it up for sale, whose name was not released, told the authorities that her late husband had bought it some years earlier. When she learned of its history, she “immediately and graciously agreed to relinquish it back to the American people,” Mr. Callahan’s office said....
comments powered by Disqus
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)