Celebrating the Wallace monumentBreaking News
Celebrations are due to be held in Stirling to mark the 150th anniversary of the start of work on the Wallace Monument.
On this day in 1861 more than 100,000 people thronged Stirling and the Abbey Craig as a ceremony took place to lay the foundation stone.
Paid for by public subscription, the monument went over budget and it was eight years before it was opened.
More recently, the Wallace monument has attracted over 130,000 visitors a year....
comments powered by Disqus
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Trump Recording Narrows Divide on Sexual Assault
- SUNY professor says Trump win at least 87 percent certain; other polls 'bunk'
- Petition Started to Include Clarence Thomas in National African American Museum
- Garry Wills says there’s one human test we can use to decide who’s the better candidate: Trump or Clinton
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades
- Ken Burns developing 'The Gene' based on Mukherjee's bestseller